

Check out these two shots I took of the garment sweatshop that is right across the street from Azfar's parents' house. (The bottom one I took first.) See any difference? Garment workers have been agitating in the past few months, to raise the minimum wage and improve their very poor working conditions. The minimum wage for garment workers in Bangladesh hasn't been raised in 12 years. Currently they make a little less than $14 a month. Of course, they produce $14 worth of clothes for about every minute they work. Ironic, no? Anyway, garment workers at this factory chose to burn down the cloth that was hanging over part of the building, that was hiding the fact that the building is literally crumbling down. The building now stands exposed, so all can see how unsafe it is. I took the photo on top right after the fire crews had put out the fire. (You can see fire engines and a crowd gathered around.)
1 comment:
This picture is amazing. what has come of the protest? did they get a raise, better working conditions?
Post a Comment