Interesting factoid: So in my dissertation I'm writing about USAID's "family planning" program in Bangladesh, with Norplant, which is a form of birth control that is inserted into the arm. The company that produced Norplant finally went bankrupt due to an international lawsuit because of the amount of deaths and severe si...de effects (such as blindness) that Norplant had on women, and even some women in Bangladesh got some money (after they had already gone blind or suffered other severe side effects). Interestingly enough, though, at the Ontario Science Centre that
I visited in Toronto, they had a huge display on birth control, and guess which form of birth control they were advertising as the "most effective"? Norplant. My jaw just about hit the floor. They haven't updated their display since 1996. I sent them an email informing them that they might want to update their records a tad bit...it'll be interesting to see if they respond...
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow--I actually got a response from the museum! They said they're going to change the display as soon as possible. Cool!
Post a Comment