Sunday, April 15, 2007

Shubho Nobobosho (Happy Bengali New Year!)








April 14 is the Bengali new year. In Bangla, "Shubho Nobobosho" means "happy new year." On this day literally millions of people poured out into the streets in Dhaka to celebrate in festivals all over the city. There was music, dancing, food, face-painting, roadside vendors selling everything from popcorn to bamboo flutes, clothes, toys, ice cream, jewelry, and everything inbetween. Azfar, Salma and I spent all day at the festival by Dhaka University. Salma loved it, although she got totally worn out. Salma and I both got our faces painted. And Salma ate ice cream, and she got plenty spoiled with balloons and a Bengali flag. Lots of people took pictures of our "little nationalist" who was running around with her Bengali flag saying "Joy Bangla! Ami Bengali!" Anyway, we had a great time although we were all completely worn out by the end of the day. (And Azfar had quite an adventure with his rickshaw, which had a head-on collision with another rickshaw...quite a funny story, since nobody got hurt, although I don't think the driver is laughing.)

No comments: